The old jail of the county
The old jail of the county

The old jail of the county

The old jail of the county

15 years of abandonment without graffiti (or almost)

Project ideas abound for this old provincial jail today abandoned. The building has been closed in 2001 following the construction of a larger and more modern correctional center. More than a dozen projects have been launched in the air: a shelter for the homeless, a music studio, a small hotel offering nights behind bars and much more. None of them have been accepted for different reasons. To the despair of the town..

Built in 1928 and completed in 1930, the facility received the worst criminals of this maritime province. A total of 50 prisoners could serving their sentences it in the four wings. The cells were small and some had bunk beds. In the basement, there were three isolation cells, and a cell with two benches to receive prisoners arriving or leaving the prison. A small rudimentary hospital complete the facilities.

One of the most incredible stories about prisoners who stayed there is about this American veteran of the Vietnam War wanted by the United States for several murders. Specializes in close combat, he escaped during his transfer to a psychiatric hospital where he was to undergo an evaluation. The exploit is significant, knowing it was fists and feet tied and had managed to escape through a window of the van after being knocked out his armed guards. He then swam for over an hour in a lake before being arrested again.

Today, despite the current situation, it remains surprising that the prison remained in a more than acceptable state. There is few graffiti (two or three) and, except for a few cell doors that were stolen, the site has undergone very little vandalism.

Related content

Belchite, a remnant of the Spanish Civil War
Belchite, (Spain)

We are in September 1937 in the small village of Belchite located about 50 kilometers from Zaragoza. The Spanish Civil War has been raging for a year already and thousands of Spaniards died. By the end of the conflict in April 1939, they will be...

Forte de Nossa Senhora da Graça : fortress Our Lady of Grace
Elvas, (Portugal)

Located in the parish of Alcazaba about one kilometer from the town of Elvas in Portugal, the fortress Our Lady of Grace, better known by the Portuguese as the Forte de Nossa Senhora da Graça or Forte Conde de Lippe, this is a imposing building...

The Ogilvie widow's abandoned mansion
Laurentides, Quebec (Canada)

Built in 1923 by Helen Johnston, widow of William Watson Ogilvie, the mansion incorporates all the components required by the old bourgeoisie. It must be said that her husband William W. Ogilvie had made a fortune in the grain trade, and when he...

The abandoned castle of Noisy
Celles, (Belgium)

Located in the town of Celles, in the Namur area in Belgium, the  Miranda castle (or Noisy) is unquestionably one of the most famous Belgian places for urbexers . Built in 1907 (the work has began in 1866), the castle is owned by the Comte...