The abandoned Baranja sugar factory
The abandoned Baranja sugar factory

The abandoned Baranja sugar factory

The abandoned Baranja sugar factory

National Pride

Šećerana, Croatia

Located in the region of Baranja in Croatia, Šećerana is a settlement of 559 inhabitants near Beli Manastir. Today forgotten and half destroyed, the old Baranja Sugar factory has been built in 1898 and became a state company in 1906. Funded with the Prince Friedrich Karl of Prussia’ money, he also accepted a rate of 1,5%. Known as the greatest flourishing in the seventies and the eighties, there were more than hundred workers at its golden age.

In the 90s, the sugar plant is closed by its owner: PIK Belje. But in 2004, the plant is reopened and it starts to produce starch. The plant is finally closed few years later.

Today, half of the plant has been destroyed and Šećerana is a little town who lost more than a plant: there is no more restaurant, discotheque or bowling.

Related content

Spexel, the Beauharnois abandoned plant
Beauharnois, Quebec (Canada)

It's over 92 years of industrial history that ended in 2004 when the Spexel factory was closed down. The story of this plant start in 1912 when is built the paper mill, which took the name of Howard Smith Paper Mill. Over the following years, the...

The old Minas de Riotinto locomotives
Minas de Riotinto, (Spain)

We are talking about over 5000 years of mining history in this area. The landscape has been changed forever, and it looks at some places like a alien planet where red, yellow, purple mingle with green, gray and ocher.

The ten abandoned...

The old abandoned sawmill

The advantage of a 4 hours ride to visit an abandoned sawmill is that we increase our chances of finding an intact place without the slightest trace of vandalism. Or at least, very little.

All along the road, the fear of finding a...

The old Conveyor dock's tower
Montréal, Quebec (Canada)

So you might think the old Conveyor dock's tower straight out of the fourteenth century, but you're wrong. The pier on which it is located was built in 1956-1957 and was one of the last marine works at the port of Montreal before it does change...