Wyndcliffe, the abandoned mansion
Wyndcliffe, the abandoned mansion

Wyndcliffe, the abandoned mansion

Wyndcliffe, the abandoned mansion

Ruin of a historic mansion

Rhinebeck (New York), United States

Wyndcliffe is the ruin of a historic mansion near Rhinebeck in Dutchess County, New York. The records at the Library of Congress state that the brick mansion was originally named Rhinecliff and Constructed in 1853 in the Norman style. The design is attributed to local architect George Veitch. The master mason, John Byrd, executed the highly varied ornamental brickwork using only rectangular and few molded bricks. The mansion was used a weekend and summer residence by its first owner, Elizabeth Schermerhorn Jones of New York City. The adjacent hamlet to the north of Wyndcliffe was originally platted as "Kipsbergen" (1686); the hamlet was later renamed as "Rhinecliff" after the Jones-Schemerhorn estate of the same name. Writer Edith Wharton was a frequent childhood visitor. The phrase "keeping up with the Joneses" is thought to originate from the Wyndcliffe estate.

Wyndcliffe was later known as Linden Hall or Finck Castle, for subsequent owners. The mansion was abandoned sometime around 1950. Originally situated on 80 acres including waterfront access to the Hudson River, the property was eventually reduced to 2.5 acres. Portions of the mansion have collapsed after many years of abandonment. In 2003 the mansion was purchased. The owner hopes to restore the mansion. As of 2012, the structure has continued to deteriorate.

Source: Wikipedia

Related content

Belchite, a remnant of the Spanish Civil War
Belchite, (Spain)

We are in September 1937 in the small village of Belchite located about 50 kilometers from Zaragoza. The Spanish Civil War has been raging for a year already and thousands of Spaniards died. By the end of the conflict in April 1939, they will be...

The Negro Community Center
Montréal, Quebec (Canada)
The origins of the building

Despite the many changes made to the building by the Negro community center, it is clear that the original building was a church. Plans are signed by Sidney Rose Badgley (1850-1917), an architect from Ste.Catherine,...

The Minister's House
Montréal, Quebec (Canada)

From the outside, one notices its architectural details and its wrought iron. Without forgetting its balconies and its heterogeneous structure that stands out from this neighborhood to the residential buildings with the austere austere. Now, it...

The abandoned loyalist mansion
Eastern Townships, Quebec (Canada)

Located in the Eastern Townships, this loyalist manor house with its chic style reminiscent of the homes in New England. It seems abandoned for quite some time, although it is remarkably well preserved. There has been some vandalism in the rooms...