The old Conveyor dock's tower
The old Conveyor dock's tower

The old Conveyor dock's tower

The old Conveyor dock's tower

Tower used to unload ships

Montréal (Quebec), Canada

So you might think the old Conveyor dock's tower straight out of the fourteenth century, but you're wrong. The pier on which it is located was built in 1956-1957 and was one of the last marine works at the port of Montreal before it does change its vocation and become a place recreotourism. Originally, there were even two towers, but only one has survived, the one at the end of the dock.

Quai des Convoyeurs
Credit: Collection of the Canadian National, no CN000475; © City of Montreal, 2001

The towers of the Conveyors dock was used to unload ships laden with grain. On the left side of the pelvis King Edward (not visible in photo) was located on each tower an articulated arm which was attached to an endless belt on which containers were used to rip the content of the ships. Mounted on rails, the towers had the advantage of being mobile and was able to unload a ship or two big ones. The grain was then forwarded to the grain silo number 1 (now destroyed), which was located at the end of the Conveyors's pier.

It was in the 1980s and 1990s that the vocation of the Old Port of Montreal has changed. While the neighborhood was in a lamentable condition, a great revitalization of the area will lead to the destruction of several buildings, including the silo number one and several warehouses located on the Quai de l'Horloge.

Today, the Old Port of Montreal is one of the most visited places in the city, although  recreotourism part still rub shoulders with the good old vocation of the port.

Anecdote about the pictures. Because this place is barricaded, we had the chance to visit it with the agreement of the port authorities. We were looking for a location for an advertising campaign and officials have agreed to unlock the door for our shooting. That explains the photo of the chocolate cat into the blender.

By the way, the Conveyor's dock was also the location for the Bon Cop Bad Cop movie (final scenes), the TV series Fortier written by Fabienne Larouche and a ad ... for the Federation of Dairy Farmers of Canada.

Oh yeah! Last thing: a week before our visit, the lady in charge of the place, told us that a man had come to hang himself... Morbid, you say?

Related content

The abandoned Babcock & Wilcox plant of Sestao
Sestao, Vizcaya (Spain)

The history of the Babcock & Wilcox in the Galindo valley began during the First World War when the difficulties of the Compañía de los Caminos de Hierro del Norte de España will result in the sale of the plant to the Babcock & Wilcox...

Former coastal patrols, convoy protection and submarine hunting
Saint-Hubert, Quebec (Canada)

Conceived in the mid-30s, the Catalina is a seaplane and a patrol bomber, created by the U.S. company Consolidated. More than 4,000 copies were built in United States, but also in Canada and in USSR. In Canada, they were built by Canadian Vickers...

The Bannerman's Island
Nelsonville, New York (United States)

I was asked to photograph it (legally) by the Trust group thats restoring the island,which was a life long dream of mine.

The history of the island began in 1900 when Francis Bannerman purchased the island. Located in the Hudson River near...

Geo W. Reed plant - Photo by Pierre Bourgault
Montréal, Quebec (Canada)

No doubt, this is a mysterious building. There is no reliable information about this abandoned building on the Internet. Impossible to corroborate the details found here and there. Indeed, even the name of the building can’t be confirmed. While...