The old parochial cinema
The old parochial cinema

The old parochial cinema

The old parochial cinema

Vestige of the golden age of cinema

Gaspésie (Quebec), Canada

In 1937, we are in the golden age of cinema and in these Gaspé lands, the pastor of this small coastal village is looking for a way to finance the modern church to which he dreams. Convincing parishioners to provide wood and time to build a small theater with 250 seats, it will open in 1938. It will be found in Nova Scotia (atlantic province of Canada) iron chairs to furnish the room.

This sober building recalls the structure of the hangars of the region. Renovated during the 50s, the room is then used extensively for film, Irish festivals, political rallies and as a local theater.

However, like many other theaters around the world, its decline will begin with the arrival of television. Rural depopulation and the aging of the population will come to end of the room which is no longer used except for very rare occasions. Nevertheless, a volunteer dedicated to its preservation manages to keep the site alive despite the lack of interest of the community.

Related content

The old and abandoned gas station
Saint-Hyacinthe, Quebec (Canada)

It was a garage, but also a gas station, a car wash and a house. But today, the large building is completely abandoned. Newspapers and magazines on the floor suggest that the owners left about two years ago. They have left suddenly, by the way....

The abandoned boys institute
Cecil County, Maryland (United States)

Located at the north of Baltimore, this Beaux-Arts influenced Gregorian Revival style by N.Y. architects Boring and Tilton buildings was one of the oldest school of Maryland before its closure in the 90s. The 330 acre campus is constituted of...

The Purple rain
The Madeleine islands, Quebec (Canada)

The Madeleine islands are an eleven islands archipelago in the middle of the Gulf of St. Lawrence. While most are interconnected by bridges or dams, some are isolated and far away from the main land.

The islands are known for their...

The Ogilvie widow's abandoned mansion
Laurentides, Quebec (Canada)

Built in 1923 by Helen Johnston, widow of William Watson Ogilvie, the mansion incorporates all the components required by the old bourgeoisie. It must be said that her husband William W. Ogilvie had made a fortune in the grain trade, and when he...