The Ogilvie widow's abandoned mansion
The Ogilvie widow's abandoned mansion

The Ogilvie widow's abandoned mansion

The Ogilvie widow's abandoned mansion

Bourgeois mansion in the woods

Laurentides (Quebec), Canada

Built in 1923 by Helen Johnston, widow of William Watson Ogilvie, the mansion incorporates all the components required by the old bourgeoisie. It must be said that her husband William W. Ogilvie had made a fortune in the grain trade, and when he died in 1900 he left behind a nice nest egg of nearly a million and a half dollars to his wife and four children.

The Ogilvie family already owned a sumptuous residence in Montreal (the Rosemount house located on Mount Royal) but it was common practice at the time to own several country homes. So despite her advanced age, Helen Johnston built this luxury home north of Montreal in the woods, near a lake. Inside, there were half a dozen rooms each with a private bathroom, a large living room on the ground floor, and a small room for the maid right next to the kitchen. Outside, there were farm buildings (now destroyed) and much more.

With the death of the Ogilvie widow, the property was sold and eventually became part of a vast tourist complex comprising a private golf course, chalets and more.

Today, it's the whole complex who is in a sorry state. The golf course is closed, the company's web site has not been updated for two years, and the mansion is abandoned, left to itself. Although its structure is in excellent condition, mold has begun to appear everywhere. Fortunately, so far there hasn’t been any vandalism.
 

Related content

Abandoned houses in Gaspesie
Gaspésie, Quebec (Canada)

Beyond the tourist beauties we are used to see when we visit the Gaspesie, it can be found hundreds of abandoned houses that show those old days when the region had not yet suffered the wrath of the rural exodus.

If the economy of the...

The Buzludzha monument
Buzludzha, (Bulgaria)
A historical brief

We are in Bulgaria, a small state of Central Europe who joined the European Union in 2007 and still relatively unknown outside its touristy areas of the Black Sea.

The construction of the building began in 1974 and the...

The abandoned waterpark in Piedmont
Piedmont, Quebec (Canada)

Once upon a time, a small piece of land bordering Autoroute 15 in Piedmont came to life every summer as a place of amusement. The Cascades d'Eau Piedmont, home of the Laurentian's iconic giant faucet, was Quebec's oldest water park when it ceased...

Forte de Nossa Senhora da Graça : fortress Our Lady of Grace
Elvas, (Portugal)

Located in the parish of Alcazaba about one kilometer from the town of Elvas in Portugal, the fortress Our Lady of Grace, better known by the Portuguese as the Forte de Nossa Senhora da Graça or Forte Conde de Lippe, this is a imposing building...