The abandoned Laurentian military base
The abandoned Laurentian military base

The abandoned Laurentian military base

The abandoned Laurentian military base

Ruins of the Cold War

Saint-Adolphe d'Howard (Quebec), Canada

Closed in 1987, the former Canadian military base located in St-Adolphe-d'Howard began its operations in 1950. Its mission: monitor the airspace in southwestern Quebec and northeastern Ontario. True vestige of the Cold War between the Western bloc and the Eastern bloc, the military base was operated by Canada as part of the NORAD organization (namely North American Aerospace Defense Command, or NORAD.

Created in 1957 and named « North American Air Defense Command », it will be renamed NORAD in March 1981. It is an US-Canadian organization whose mission is to monitor the North American airspace.

This military base located in Saint-Adolphe was part of the Pinetree Line which consisted of a network of 33 radar stations under Canada-US jurisdiction ranging along the 49th parallel to protect North America from possible air attacks from the USSR.

While new technologies made these facilities obsolete, these military bases were successively replaced by the Mid-Canada Line and DEW Line, each further north.

Related content

South direction
Montréal, Quebec (Canada)

Abandoned, barricaded and destroyed at the south entry of the Lachine Canal, the tunnel Wellington currently offers lack of interest for urban exploration (can't go inside).

Back in 1990, it permanently ceases its activities with the...

The abandoned Rochester Subway
Rochester, New York (United States)

In 1918 the Erie Canal was re-routed to by-pass downtown Rochester, and in 1919 the abandoned canal was bought to serve as a grade-separated route for the heavy "inter-urban" streetcars that were seen as obstructing surface street traffic. Tracks...

The old jail of the county

Project ideas abound for this old provincial jail today abandoned. The building has been closed in 2001 following the construction of a larger and more modern correctional center. More than a dozen projects have been launched in the air: a...

Forte de Nossa Senhora da Graça : fortress Our Lady of Grace
Elvas, (Portugal)

Located in the parish of Alcazaba about one kilometer from the town of Elvas in Portugal, the fortress Our Lady of Grace, better known by the Portuguese as the Forte de Nossa Senhora da Graça or Forte Conde de Lippe, this is a imposing building...