The abandoned united church of Tomifobia

The abandoned united church of Tomifobia

The abandoned united church of Tomifobia

Abandoned since 1968

Tomifobia (Quebec), Canada

Into advanced disrepair, the Tomifobia United Church is no longer plume of its good old days. The place of worship has been abandoned since 1968, but there are indications about some restoration. Unfortunately, the owner does not seem to show a great eagerness to save the church. In December 2008 the tower was always adorned with a steeple but three years later, it remains only a part of the tour ... which is separated from the church. The structure is pitching dangerously to the left and apart from the lawn who is cut, there is not significant changes for the last years. In fact, it look like a Pise tower  ready to crumble instead of a place of worship.

However, the small Presbyterian community of Tomifobia , formerly known as Smith's Mills, was in its heyday, a important point of the forest industries. Several mills were built and railway line was crossing the city.

Today, unfortunately, the railway has been converted into a cycle track, the mills have closed and the small village of Tomifobia now annexed to the town of Ogden, is nothing more than country roads in middle of nowhere .

In regard to the United Church Tomifobia built in 1890, it now stays on blocks of wood, as if its owner had decided to redo the foundation, but the funds are not there. Resigned, it looks like he lets the poor church dying and collapsing by itself.

Related content

The Negro Community Center
Montréal, Quebec (Canada)
The origins of the building

Despite the many changes made to the building by the Negro community center, it is clear that the original building was a church. Plans are signed by Sidney Rose Badgley (1850-1917), an architect from Ste.Catherine,...

The Mascouche seigniorial mansion - Photos by Pierre Bourgault
Mascouche, Quebec (Canada)

Jewel of Quebec's heritage, the seigniorial manor was built in 1795. Expanded several times over the years, it was used for several purposes. From 1967 to 2000 it was used as a high school and later, Quebec police organization “Sûreté du Québec”...

The former Abbey of Our-Lady-of-Good-Council
Saint-Romual, Quebec (Canada)

Abandoned since 2002, the huge complex that has formed the abbay of Notre-Dame-du-Bon-Conseil in Saint-Romuald is now completely destroyed. Vandalized and burned several times, its owner, the Ultramar refinery, had no choice and have razed the...

Belchite, a remnant of the Spanish Civil War
Belchite, (Spain)

We are in September 1937 in the small village of Belchite located about 50 kilometers from Zaragoza. The Spanish Civil War has been raging for a year already and thousands of Spaniards died. By the end of the conflict in April 1939, they will be...