The abandoned church of Shrewsbury
The abandoned church of Shrewsbury

The abandoned church of Shrewsbury

The abandoned church of Shrewsbury

Holy water to clean all traces of the craft of Satan

Gore (Quebec), Canada

Update (2014-01-14): The Municipality of Gore is offering a $5,000 cash reward for information leading to the arrest of those responsible for the fire that burned down Shrewsbury Church, on January 13, 2014. Anyone with information regarding to this fire is urged to contact the SQ’s information hotline at 1.800.711.1800 or the Argenteuil detachment of the SQ at 450.562.2442.

Lost in the middle of the woods in a village that no longer exists, the small church of St. John has a sad face. Vandalized, emptied and visited by ghost's lovers, its days seem counted. In fact, according to neighbors, its popularity on the Internet caused its loss. While the sacred objects were stolen (including the bell of the church), some dating websites have even suggested theme nights to meet your soulmate and some ... ghosts. Also, if some have argued that suicide took place inside the church, this was only urban legends.

In 2010, the Anglican church of St John was decommissioned during a ceremony, formalized by the Archdeacon Edward Simonton, who also performed the sprinkling of holy water in the cemetery to clear the ground of all traces of "the art of Satan" or human malice. Today, despite a wish of making an community room inside the old church, nothing has been done and the time continues to do its work.

The origins of Shrewsbury

We're in the 1830s, and while that arrive in Montreal poor families from Ireland, a handful of them will hit the road to the northern lands. Located a hundred kilometers from Montreal, Shrewsbury is founded during these years. The settlers will clear the land and they will build facilities to make life easier for new residents. A school will be built in 1841 (and burn in 1935) and St. John's church will open its doors in 1858.

If the population of Shrewsbury  grow quickly, its fall will be just as fast. Already in the 1880s, disease and depression will scare away its people. Mainly agricultural village, many of its citizens are simply unable to find work and will be forced to exile as far as Western Canada. Already in the early twentieth century, the village of Shrewsbury lost half of its population. It will takes less than fifty years to see its last citizens leaving the town. Today, the village is merged with the town of Gore and the church and cemetery (where 27 graves) are the last witnesses of the former village now wiped off the map.

Related content

The old convent of the Sisters of Redemption

It is at high speed that the old convent of the Sisters of the Redemption undergoes the thunders of vandals who are looking for strong sensations.

Classified as a heritage building, the religious community deserted it in the mid-1990s for...

The old abandoned monastery

The monastery was built at the beginning of the 20th century. Situated on a mountainside so as to offer occupants a breathtaking view of the area that extends to their feet, the site is still 100 years later of great beauty. Three floors high,...

The old and abandoned Protestant church
Gaspésie, Quebec (Canada)

In 1892 begins the construction of the St. Andrew's church in this small village somewhere in Gaspésie. While the land was formerly occupied by the Mi'kmaq, the region was soon settled by Scots in the nineteenth century followed by Irish, English...

The old abandoned church
Montérégie, Quebec (Canada)

The exodus of churches is not a secret. While in 2003 there was 2751 places of worship in Quebec, 270 of them were sold, closed or transformed in the space of ten years. And the trend is still moving in the same path. If a little more than half...