The old Teleglobe satellite station
The old Teleglobe satellite station

The old Teleglobe satellite station

The old Teleglobe satellite station

A heap of ruins

Charleston (Nova Scotia), Canada

Built in the woods near the hamlet of Mill Village, the Teleglobe station is no longer the shadow of what it once was. Built in 1964 at a cost of $ 9 million, the vast complex was part of an extensive satellite program for the transmission of telephone and television signals between North America and Europe.

The site was closed in the 1990s. The huge satellite dome was thrown to the ground in order to sell the metal. For many reasons, it took more than a decade to finally destroy and root out from the site.

The other satellite dome is now destroyed, as most buildings. The former covered sidewalk that allows travel between the main buildings was shaved, leaving only the ground structure that forms a sort of open boardwalk in the middle of the woods.

The rest of the site is covered of graffiti and really don't shows great interest. The majority of buildings are destroyed and the ruins looks like a big dump.

Related content

Monkeys castle
Haute-Normandie, (France)

Listed historical monument, the Monkeys castle is a beautiful mansion built in the seventeenth century. Its name comes from the frescoes on the walls that depict monkeys. It is also known as the Madness Castle and  the Bettor Castle. Located in a...

Winter jail
Sherbrooke, Quebec (Canada)

It was hard to motivate ourselves to hit the road on this cold December morning, with temperatures of -29 ° C. But the destination was worth it: a 130-year-old abandoned prison. Moreover, I had a special permission for a photo session inside....

The Fonte da Pipa palace
Loulé, (Portugal)

Known for its carnival and market of great beauty, Loulé is a city of 70,000 inhabitants located in the south of Portugal, in the Algarve region.

It is built between 1878 and 1897 the small castle of Pipa palace which will never be...

The Ogilvie widow's abandoned mansion
Laurentides, Quebec (Canada)

Built in 1923 by Helen Johnston, widow of William Watson Ogilvie, the mansion incorporates all the components required by the old bourgeoisie. It must be said that her husband William W. Ogilvie had made a fortune in the grain trade, and when he...