Handelsbeurs, the first exchange of History
Handelsbeurs, the first exchange of History

Handelsbeurs, the first exchange of History

Handelsbeurs, the first exchange of History

Origins of capitalism

Anvers, Belgium

Opened in 1531 in Anvers to replace the old stock exchange in Hofstraat, the "Handelsbeurs" (New Exchange) was designed by the Antwerp architect, Domien De Waghemakere (1460-1542) and burnt down on two occasions, in 1583 and 1858. After the last fire the Stock Exchangeor Handelsbeurs was rebuilt in a rather opulent neo-Gothic style.

Closed in 1997 (the business is moved to Brussels), the building has been abandonned until 2013 when Marriott announced a 5 stars hotel in the old building, more than 212 rooms. Works has start in February 2016 and should be done for earling 2019, at time for the great opening of the Autograph Marriott Hôtel.

Related content

The old parochial cinema
Gaspésie, Quebec (Canada)

In 1937, we are in the golden age of cinema and in these Gaspé lands, the pastor of this small coastal village is looking for a way to finance the modern church to which he dreams. Convincing parishioners to provide wood and time to build a small...

Doel, the nuclear ghost town
Doel, (Belgium)

We are almost in the Netherlands, but also in the port area of the port of Antwerp in Belgium, first chemical port in Europe.

By the early 60s, the Scheldt marshes are doomed to extinction to be replaced by gigantic docks and the incessant...

The abandoned theater
Montréal, Quebec (Canada)

This is the story of a rehabilitation project who won't die. A long path of a non-profit organization that has been fighting for three years to find the funds for the renovation of a theater that is part of the cultural landscape of Montreal...

Hotel Adler, the abandoned bathhouse - Photo by Diane Landro
Sharon Springs, New York (United States)

The 150-room Adler Hotel on the northern edge of the village with its Spanish style architecture was the last great hotel built prior to the great depression in Sharon Springs. The five-story hotel opened in 1927 and closed after the 2004 summer...