The abandoned orphanage
The abandoned french orphanage

The abandoned french orphanage

The abandoned french orphanage

Condemned to be razed

North of the country, France

Completed in 1883 and funded by a local industrialist, this orphanage for boys has been built during a era marked by poverty and many children abandoned and left to their own end. Launched in 1875, the project was intended as a gift to the city by a rich man. Driven by his Christian faith, he even include his son and nephew in the project. This is also these two men who gave their name to the institution.

Although the establishment was open to all religious denominations, only the Catholic religion was taught, which made several lay people very unhappy with this situation.

Overall, there was about fifty places for the orphans. Unfortunately, despite the gift of the building (with a donation of a few thousand francs), the property was in deficit year after year. Already at the end of the 1930s, the city is forced to subsidize the orphanage to keep it open.

The 50s have been marked as an important step for the establishing. The orphans were gradually replaced by children from disadvantaged backgrounds (separation, divorce, etc.). In fact, there were about six or seven orphans for the fifty kids hosted in the building.

On March 16, 1953, the orphanage closed its doors, while its financial situation became catastrophic.

Ten years later, a new vocation for the establishment is found. The premises are then adapted for a new clientele: the disabled for who, specialized services were given. They occupy the premises for more than fifty years before moving to a new and modern building, leaving behind a dilapidated building. We are in 2006 and it is from this year that the site will be permanently abandoned.

And today?

While the structure is still in good shape, a housing project was announced last fall. In total, we are talking about 61 condos and more than 17 houses. While work should begin in spring 2014, for the moment, nothing has moved.

Related content

The Shelburne abandoned Youth Centre
Shelburne, Nova Scotia (Canada)

Although Shelburne Youth Centre opens in 1948, the origins of the penitentiary institution come from as far back as 1865 when is founded the Halifax Industrial School for Boys. In 1947, when the funds run out for this Protestant institution, the...

The old abandoned convent
Eastern townships, Quebec (Canada)

Well hidden behind a church and large mature trees, the old convent was abandoned for some years. In a resplendent form, it doesn't look abandoned, except for the thousand dead flies on the floor who confirm that clean up hasn't been made for a...

Miss Peregrine’s College for Girls
Upstate, New York (United States)

The College for Girls was founded in 1890 and in 1907 moved to its final home on 22 acres in Upstate, New York. In 1907 the school had an enrollment of 120 students and a faculty of 29. Originally, the course of study was six years with four...

Riverside Psychiatric Center
Riverside, New York (United States)

Riverside Psychiatric Center is a former New York State Psychiatric Hospital which was open from 1873 to the early 2000’s. The hospital was meant to hold 300 patients of either sex. However, the female wing of the hospital was built shorter than...